Monday, January 17, 2011

Can we put a stop to this?

 Columbus, Ohio tallied a total 105 homicides in the year 2010 alone.
It is now January 17th, 2011 and the fourth homicide happened early this morning around 2:30 AM of this year.

This is not a good fucking start to 2011.



Innocent people are not only getting hurt but losing their lives.  It's a domino effect.  People want revenge.  How can we speak up and get the point across to others that we are killing our own? 

I remember sitting at my boyfriends moms house one night.  We were downstairs eating Chinese and for some reason he had put the TV on mute.  The sound of an old truck had gone by and then at least 6 or 7 shots were fired.  The next day we learned that a 20 year old kid was shot in the chest. 

What about Alexandria who was unfortunately caught between crossfire of two men openly shooting at each other from opposite sides of the street. 

This is real.  People that are close to us are losing their lives.  I understand it happens everywhere, but as a powerful small city, we need to stand up and speak out against violence.  We have that sort of power that we need to take advantage of. 

Our youth needs a good influence, they are our future.  They look up to us, they learn from us.  We must send them the right messages and protect them. 

Support your local crime stoppers and stop the violence acts.  I know that this year I am going to make a difference.  I want the city I live in to not make national headlines for the wrong reasons.

My boyfriend always tells me to only control the things I can control.  Well I feel that maybe I can't control guns being put in the wrong hands of people but I know i can stand up, speak out and attempt to make a difference for the sake of young kids and those I'm surrounded by.

Richard Owen Smith lost his life this morning.  Plenty of people knew him and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.  Rest In Peace.


Here are a few websites you can go to for tips, advice or help.

No comments:

Post a Comment